Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Commissioning to IBOLC

I officially became a Commissioned Officer on May 18, 2009, but do to a...well...I couldn't tell you why, really, I did not go on Active Duty until October of that same year. The Army essentially cut myself, and thousands of LTs just like me, loose to do pretty much whatever we wanted until our next assignment (and entrance into Active Duty).

For me, I didn't start Gold Bar Recruiting (when newly commissioned LTs work at the college they graduated from until their Branch School begins until October. So for those of you paying attention at home, that left me with quite some time off between the end of May and the beginning of October (with no time and service being counted). I had to find some way to make money.

So I wound up bartending in the interim and it was...interesting...to say the least. All I can say is that the lessons I've learned about humanity and human nature whilst bartending will definitely come in handy when I eventually get in front of my platoon.

As for Army stuff, I officially entered Active Duty on October 19, 2009 and began a successful career as a Gold Bar Recruiter (henceforth GBR). My Battalion Commander saw fit to give me an Army Achievement Medal (AAM) for my time from October to March, to my shock and surprise. He told me not many Second Lieutenants would have an AAM and sincerely thanked me for my hard work. So, I'm proud that at such a young stage in my career I now have two things I can put on my dress uniform (the AAM will go right beneath my Air Assault wings, which have been shining brightly since 07).

As for right now, I'm about to begin Infantry Basic Officer Leadership Course (IBOLC), which is the official title of BOLC B for the Infantry Officers (this should be apparent but as we all learn at some point: common sense; not that common). I'm just trying to get myself into outstanding shape and stay motivated through the next couple of months which will be spent at TRADOC (Training and Doctrine Command; any time you're at a training school in the Army, you fall under TRADOC).

No comments: