Sunday, May 18, 2008

SITREP

School has been keeping me busy over the past month or so. My professor's decided that only having 5 classes left meant they had to cram as much work done my throat as possible, so I've been scarce.

One of my MS II friends left for Air Assault school the other day at Fort Knox. I've been coaching him through the process, teaching him how to climb a rope and the like. He called me the other day and he passed Day Zero, and I'm confident he'll do fine.

As for me, I almost got an Airborne slot. The MS I instructor (a LTC) was shooting the shit with me and I brought up Airborne school. He says to me "I just got an email saying there's an Airborne slot available but you have to be on a plane today." Knowing full well I had all my finals the following week, I say to him "Sir, I'll have my bags packed in 10 mikes if you can get me on that plane." He looks at me and says "Are you serious?" "Yes, sir!" "Wait, you're an MS III aren't you?" "Yes, sir?" "I'm not allowed to send you until after LDAC, I'm sorry."

Just like that, my Airborne dreams were squashed...for now.

As for myself and LDAC, I've been assigned to 15th Reg, 16 July to 17 August. So if any of you ROTC cadets who stumble across my page are unlucky enough to have to wait the entire summer to go, you'll be seeing me, I'm sure. Even if I'm not in your squad or platoon, I'll be the bald, deep-voiced, loud guy yelling out "Air Assault!" as I've been known to do.

No comments: